View Single Post
Old 12-21-14, 10:59 AM   #6
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I was just reading another thread about some DIY storm windows, which mentioned reusing the existing screens.

I noticed that on my windows, the screens are on the outside - and the outside is where you want to block heat from coming in.

My house is poorly oriented to the sun, so that there is no roof overhang on the south side of the house, where we have three bedroom windows.

If adding shade-cloth to the outside of skylights can help keep my house cooler, wouldn't adding shade-cloth to my existing window screens help as well? (I know that the sun is high in the sky in the summer, and that's why the solar gain is so bad through the skylights - it should be much less, but still gain, because the windows are vertical)

I think shade-cloth could be basically wrapped around the screen frame and popped into place. It could actually look pretty stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote