View Single Post
Old 10-22-12, 11:45 PM   #169
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Does it go into hybrid mode and use the heating elements?

You might be able to tell how much power it's using in the two modes,
by turning off everything else in the house, and watching your main power meter.
I've used mine and it's an accurate way to measure power use.
(It's what they are going to charge you for anyways)..

I have one of these meters,
and it's a snap to read the watt hours.

But, getting a baseline and using your bill should be fine too..

I've had my geospring for 2 1/2 years now.
When I first installed it I had it set on hybrid mode so it would use the elements if it deemed it necessary. After a little while I decided to turn it to eheat mode so it was heat pump only. During the summer I notice no difference, it runs for about an hour after each shower. During the winter when the garage gets down to the 40's I've heard it on for 3. I believe if my memory serves me at 41deg it automatically reverts to the elements. When I have guests staying with us I just press the high demand setting and it has no problems keeping up. Seems like under eheat mode it was using 430 watts when running and around 8000 during high demand settings.
It has been an incredible investment for us, we had been using 2 propane heaters burning over 1200$ a year. Since I've installed it I havnt had to call the propane company again. The only other use we have for propane is our stove, and at this rate I have enough propane for 25 years.

Hv23t
Hv23t is offline   Reply With Quote