View Single Post
Old 08-23-14, 08:37 AM   #7
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

AC hacker, I have no problem with rockwool, its generally more insulative than fiberglass. In fact I brought it up as an alternative to cellulose. Blown in rockwool from the 60's and 70's is some harsh stuff to disturb. The dark gray blown in rock wool fibers seem sharper, the dust is way more irritating and there's usually some shiny glass like shards mixed in. I haven't seen blown in rockwool at big box stores for sale in at least 10 years but I haven't been looking either. From wikipedia I found "some types of mineral wool are considered a possible carcinogen to humans, similar to asbestos" but thats probably similar to the california prop 65 warning I see sometimes on fiberglass. When I see 2x4 walls and batts I usually think r-13. Probably because thats the minimum code and seems to be the only thing people want to build to. I was actually happy to see r-15 batts for 2x4 walls for my personal projects. The packaging I saw with "r15 and superior fire protection" was in really large print, it was definitely touting. Tout Definition
dictionary.search.yahoo.com
v. verb

To promote or praise energetically; publicize.

To solicit or importune.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote