View Single Post
Old 08-22-14, 10:22 AM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojohn View Post
...I just saw rockwool batts at the store, which I thought was banned or no longer in use. They touted r-15 for 2x4 and claimed "superior fire protection"...
I just insulated my back room with batting made from Roxul, which is a brand of rock wool. It is great stuff to work with, and it can be shaped quite easily by cutting with a serrated knife. It is quite dense, and when you push it into a stud wall space, you can feel the whoosh of air that is being displaced.

I found that mineral wool had none of the 'fiber glass itching' experience. However, I would advise wearing a partical mask when working with it, as a precaution.

I just did a Google search for "rock wool banned", and didn't turn up anything of significance.

What was your source for that piece of information???

And when you said, "touted r-15", I take it that you have information that suggests otherwise???

Could you please share your source of that information.

And your comment, "...claimed "superior fire protection"", was curious, too.

The gas stove I have in my kitchen is a used commercial stove, the burners are 24,000 BTUs each. In the photo above, I placed a heavy stainless steel screen on the burner and waited a few seconds for it to come up to full temp, then I took a sample of the mineral wool that I have in the back room, and put it on the red-hot screen. The photo was taken after 5 minutes of the mineral wool sample being on the red hot screen. During that 5 minute time, I saw no change what so ever to the mineral wool sample.

If you have any actual information that would bring into question the claim that mineral wool "offers superior fire protection", I'd be very interested to see it.

Other than that, I can't see that there is any substance at all to what you just posted.

Best,

-AC
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 08-22-14 at 10:46 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote