View Single Post
Old 03-24-13, 10:41 PM   #1421
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default What do you want to use your home made heat pump for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearden View Post
AC, I just wanted to take the time to say thank you for all of your hard work and being willing to put all this incredible info on here for so many people to benefit from...
Music to my ears!

Thank you, and welcome to a very interesting world.

There are a growing number of people here with experience to share. We all want to see you stay safe and to succeed.

If there's anything you're not clear on, don't hesitate to ask. There are enough of us here that you'll be sure to get an answer in quick order.

The Manifesto thrives on good photos and descriptions, so keep your camera close by while you're working.

I'm familiar with that dehumidifier, too. What do you want to use your home made heat pump for? Do you want water-in-water-out? Do you want Air-in-Air-out? This could influence how you disassemble your dehumidifier.

By the way, don't be too hasty about chucking out the controller and the sensor that goes with it. They might be usable later, either whole or for parts.

When the refrigerant compressor runs it needs lubricant and it needs cooling. The compressor gets it's lubrication from the oil/refrigerant mix that is circulating. It gets it's cooling from the refrigerant & oil that is returning from the evaporator HX.

If your refrigerant circuit is intact and still pressurized (no leaks), it will not harm your compressor to run it as you have described. But, the compressor depends on the circulation of lubricant which is mixed in with the refrigerant, to be able to continue safely running for longer than a few seconds. It need the cooling of the evaporator to be able to run more than several minutes.

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 03-24-13 at 10:49 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote