View Single Post
Old 01-26-13, 02:58 PM   #365
Fornax
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladijs View Post
Are you still convinced that the coroplast core performs rather compareable to the alu one?
Yes, actually it does. Per square cm/inch the amount of heat to be moved is low.

For thin materials the most limiting part is transfering the heat from the air to the material and on the other side again from the material to the air again. Heattransfer through the thin layer of either aluminium or plastic is only a minor factor here, even with aluminium conducting heat a few hundred times better than coroplast.
If your material is thin enough like 0,5mm (1/50") you can leave it out of calculations altogether for simplicity.

Quote:
If you do not glue, how do you prevent leakage? just by pressing the frames together tightly?
You either have to use flexible materials, like the weatherstripping I used, so you get away with mildly pressing things together, which works well for me.
Or you need very precise fitting parts and then still press them together more firmly.
I guess stripes of coroplast glued on 1 side could fit the 1st category if they appear to be fairly straight. Most types of wood will probably be too sturdy and need more pressure (also these wouldn't handle moist too well in the long term.).

Quote:
Do you think it is possible to do this with alu foil, rather than "solid" plates? I do not have such plates lying around, they are damn expensive to buy as far as I can tell.
No.
Unless your 'plates' are separated by at least a cm or 1/2" the foil would deform too easily due to pressure differences.
Aluminium is too soft to use very thin sheets/foils, I even had some problems in my build with 0,8mm thick plates (1/32"). Actualy steel or plastic would be a better material for compact HX-cores.
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fornax For This Useful Post:
pladijs (01-26-13)