View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 02:31 PM   #23
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Stop the presses!! Before you buy any "traditional" circulators, be sure to check out the electronically commutated pumps built by ITT/Laing and sold under Laing, Bell & Gossett and others.

Their E10 composite housing pumps, often used as replacements for hottubs, have a similar max head as the Taco 014-21/22ft. They flow the same amount as the 014 to a little over 6gpm before falling off in max flow capability. The E10, however draws 50w at 2gpm/20ft of head and a max of 60w, at which it flows 6gpm at 20ft head. The 014 draws 178W! The E10's can be found on ebay for $130-180 depending on voltage and plumbing connections.

The E5 draws 39w max, and produces 14ft of head. It flows 6.6 gpm at 9ft of head. The taco 008 produces 15ft of head and draws 91w!

For lower head requirements, the e3-6 circulators are brass/potable water rated, have a max head of nearly 10 ft, outflow a Taco 007 to 3.5gpm while drawing max 28w. I'm using these in my open loop radiant floor system and love them. The 007 draws 82w!

You could use 1 E10 pumping to both panels with an actuator valve and an inline ball valve for each, allowing you to finetune flowrates. You would then have 60w max draw instead of around 91w. Or, use 2 E5's for around 78w instead of around 182w.

Corrosion of cast iron pumps is almost always what causes them to fail and also causes an insulating layer of rust deposits on your HX and collector surfaces, dropping efficiency. These Laing pumps are made of non-corrodable materials and are jamproof due to a single, pivoting spherical bearing:

They also offer other models that may serve the need better than the examples I gave here. Grundfos has their ECM controlled Alpha pumps, but they are pretty expensive in stainless steel.

Here is a pic of my SR728C controller ($135 shipped on aliexpress.com), an e3-4 circulator on the bottom right, and an e5 circulator on the top right:

The SR728C has 5 temp inputs, 2 separate pump controls for multiple arrays, a 1500w additional output control, etc etc. My money is on these!

Craig
The MMT

ps: LOVE the tank decals, menaus2!!!! You wanna sell some?
Attached Images

Last edited by Mobile Master Tech; 05-21-12 at 03:37 PM..
Mobile Master Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobile Master Tech For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-21-12), menaus2 (05-25-12)