View Single Post
Old 12-27-10, 08:39 PM   #453
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
AC_Hacker I saw your explanation how to choose compressor in one of the posts. You said that AC compressors are more robust this is why you should use them for heat pump. Actually the best compressors are refrigeration compressors, but you can not use them in heat pump application because of their compression ratio. They are built to pump low density low temperature refrigerant vapor.
This is good to know. Now I can reccomend A/C and de-hymidifier compressors for the right reason.

Quote:
1. Potential health hazard. Modern refrigerants become more and more toxic.
Isn't this a good argument for not having any refrigeration equipment inside a house?
  • Refrigerators?
  • Air Conditioners?
  • De-Humidifiers?
  • Heat Pumps?

Quote:
3 low temperature will lead to low discharge pressure and low efficiency.
Can't this be corrected by design and experimentation?

Quote:
4. Low discharge pressure will lower system capacity

Quote:
5. Many components in your system work efficiently only together.

Quote:
6 You can have problems with oil and refrigerant flood.
I would assume that this could happen in the field. What causes it? How do you fix this?

Quote:
This list can be much longer.
I'm sure the list could be much, much longer...

Quote:
You have to be a refrigeration mechanic at least to see all aspects.
I built a small heat pump from a de-humidifier that was essentially thrown away because it was of no further value.

I also used heat exchangers that I bought, at the time with no idea what their capacity might be.

And I brazed it all up without really even knowing how to braze anything.

Want to know why I did this? it's because I found out that children were doing this before I even tried. That's right... children led the way, because they wanted to play video games faster, and they knew that if they chilled their CPUs they could run their video games faster than they were supposed to be able to.

And you know what? It worked. In fact I'm getting a COP of about 4 by running water through the ground loop field I was not suppose to be able to build.

And I dug holes for the loop field with a 1/4 horse motor drill (and a shop vacuum). Any well-digger knows 1/4 horse motor is not enough to dig a hole.

But I did it anyway.

And it worked.

So Vlad, I have great respect for your experience and training. I am very impressed by the drilling rig you built.

If you know something that can help us in our efforts to build refrigeration equipment out of junk, please tell us. I'm ready to learn, and I'm sure the people who have contributed to the 74,000 hits on this thread, are also ready to learn (that's why there are 74,000 hits on this thread).

But don't try to tell us that this stuff is too complicated for non-experts to do. I have already proved that idea wrong, and so have the many hundreds (maybe even thousands) of children who have made CPU chillers for their video games.

We, who have become part of this thread, by reading and by sharing our questions and ideas, are ready to build, ready to test and re-build, ready to learn...

Because we know that if it can be done by children, it can be done.

The secret is out.

Best Regards & Happy New Year!

-AC_Hacker
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (12-18-12), Xringer (12-27-10)