View Single Post
Old 09-27-10, 01:13 PM   #9
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

I have a similar house, but half the size. When I moved in, there wasn't a stitch of insulation in the attic. There were gaping holes where the ceiling dropped down and plumbing went through the ceiling and floor. All of this showed up in my energy bills--the first winter, I had a nearly $400 utility bill followed by several at nearly $300 and the house was still cold. My guess is that most of that bill is going towards heating and cooling.

Before the second winter, I spent a lot of time in the attic sealing gaps, covering up the expanses from the dropped ceiling, and finally insulating. I spent less than $800 and saw a $100/month drop in utility bills in a colder winter. The weatherization and insulation will have paid for themselves by the end of this year, so a 2 year payback.

You may want to see if your landlord will let you deduct improvements that he approves from your rent, say $100 a month until you reach the amount spent. Point out to him that once you move out, he will end up with a substantially improved property making it easier to rent out. He will probably be able to increase rent, but don't mention that! You don't want him increasing it on you. Usually "sweat equity" is limited to owners, but sometimes renters can do it too.
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benpope For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-27-10)