View Single Post
Old 10-26-15, 11:21 PM   #28
TechShop
FNG

Default Test day

This evening I decided it was time that I conduct some testing on my system.

I am running a combination of closed loop and open loop for the time being until I connect my second (much larger) ground loop.

Closed loop = 300' trench 7' deep x 3' wide. 2 parallel runs of 1-1/4" HDPE.

Open loop = 3" x 8" - 50 plate HX. One side of this HX inline with the return from the closed ground loop. The other side is connected to a shallow well feeding water in at approximately 5.5 GPM @ 49F.

I cobbled together a control circuit using an Arduino Duemilanove to read a TMP-36 temperature sensor. The Arduino sends a signal to the Omron ZEN PLC which controls the pumps and calls for heat to the HP.

The HP is currently running in the high mode (2 stage scroll compressor) at maximum output. It has been running for approximately 2.5 hours.

The heat exchangers output hot water into a 52 gallon water tank. The 40' x 60' concrete floor is fed by a Taco 006 circulator from that tank.

Here are some run data:
20151026 @ 2115
===============
-HP inlet water temp @ 42 F
-HP outlet water temp @ 36 F (.555v @ DMM)
-Floor manifold inlet temp @ 100 F
-Floor manifold outlet temp @ 64 F
-Floor manifold flow @ 2.5 GPM (approximate / cheap flow meters)
-Floor manifold 45036 BTU/Hr (approximate due to flow meters)

The heat output of the system is very stable and the BTU / Hr calculation seems to be right in the ballpark of the original split HP output as published by Carrier in their documentation.

I still have a lot of work to do to complete the installation. Some of the plumbing is very "temporary". The electronic control system is cobbled together and incomplete. I will start with adding more temperature probes, good flow-meters at every stage and a data logging system.
TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TechShop For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-27-15)