View Single Post
Old 01-17-12, 06:26 PM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I was told that some of these mini splits might already be charged...
They all come with the outside unit pre-charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
and that making the connections with the compression fittings puncture the seal, allowing it to be put together without having someone come out to charge the system, is this correct or common?
The technology is changing fast, but I do know that there are systems that are set up to fully accommodate home installation.

To be quite honest, I overcame the HVAC tool hurdle early in the game, and that since then, my focus has been on performance and efficiency, rather than on 'no-tool' installations.

If you think that you don't have the confidence to rise to the challenge of DIY install, you probably shouldn't attempt it.

Having said that, Xringer was leery of a total DIY on his Sanyo that you read about, and he called a tech to come and anoint the unit with holy water. Subsequently, he acquired an additional Sanyo, same size, and he did successfully do a total DIY install.

But Xringer was something of a tech-head before he went on to full HVAC glory. It is well to know what you are and perhaps more importantly are not capable of.

-AC_Hacker

if this is the case then the install should be pretty straight foreword and simple, right?[/QUOTE]
Ryland (01-18-12)