View Single Post
Old 04-12-12, 02:14 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
The wife and I built a single family house in 2002. It's about 1500 sf heated area and a porch that wraps around 3 sides of the house, all within the exterior perimeter of the dwelling. When we built it, we did what was the norm in the area and put it over a crawl space. We covered the ground under the heated part of the house with black plastic sheeting and ignored the part under porch. We've been struggling with high humidity under there ever since. All we've done {that we thought was} constructive was install a squirrel-cage fan on a timer to circulate air under the house, exhausting it out a foundation vent. Relative humidity is still a problem at over 80% most of the time, complete with some mold on the floor joists.
Uh oh, I hope you weren't doing this during the summer. The dew point of the outdoor air in the summer, in almost everywhere except the desert is higher than the crawlspace temperature. You are essentially bringing loads of moisture and exposing it to surfaces where it will condense and mold.

I assume you know this now as you are on the right track by wanting to seal up and dehumidify the space.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote