View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 10:19 AM   #13
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Construction continues into the slow tedious phase of collector pipe and aluminum absorbers. For the back of the absorber I stapled up 3" wide strips of aluminum coilstock. Not sure on the thickness, but good enough I suppose. 8 strips by about 56 feet so about 112 sqft of material.

I'm currently in the middle of stamping out the absorber find & installing them. Helps break up the monotony of either task . The front absorber plates are cut with power shears into 6" x 24" blanks. Then my sophisticated stamping process consisting of a wooden form, 5/8" steel rod, junk boards, mallet and a post pounder. With ever 200 to make total, needless to say it will take a while.

But when the weather is nice, I can install the absorbers. The pex-al-pex doesn't need a perfect level, just a few beads of silicone for good contact & some narrow crown staples does the trick. Just a matter of time, since this is probably the single most time consuming step of construction.

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 04-05-20 at 10:37 AM..
menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menaus2 For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (04-05-20)