View Single Post
Old 12-10-10, 01:17 PM   #8
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

To not screw up my simple logging and get an easy pretty graph I had turned off the second sensor reading on the arduino rather then parse it on the java program. Last night I turned it back on and discovered I had an issue. The Event that fires saying data is on the serial port grab it would happen quicker then the java program could parse the first event so basically I'd get the entire first sensor in except for the new line character and then the second sensor would partially send garbling the results. I went to bed thinking that this would suck to handle, I'd need a second thread to process data and one to just grab the data. This morning I woke up realizing it's far far easier to just add a delay between sending each sensors data. so the send part on my arduino now looks like this.
Code:
printData(s1);
delay(100);
printData(s2);
It's a hack but it works. I'll play around with the delay to see how short I can get it without causing issues. I don't want to take 3 seconds to read in 30 sensors worth of data if possible....

<edit> A delay of 30 between each sensor write is good enough to allow me to output 100 sensors worth of readings. I've moved the delay into the print data function on the arduino. </edit>

Last edited by strider3700; 12-10-10 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: figured out an acceptable delay