View Single Post
Old 10-16-16, 09:36 AM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinco View Post
Hi, I'm renovating a 1927 brick semidetached house in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I'll be using 80-100mm thick PIR boards on the roof, the walls and the floor to get an Rc of 3.5+ everywhere.

My question is: do the screws form a significant thermal bridge? Should I contemplate other solutions? I saw for example there are Z shapes you can buy that slide into the board to hold it down, that will reduce the depth of the thermal barrier I guess.
The screws are a thermal bridge, because steel is such a good conductor. However the cross-sectional area is a very large determining factor in this instance, and the cross sectional area of the screws in your application is very, very small.

If there was a way to avoid screws, it would be better, but the losses from screws will be minuscule.

I think that as you continue to work on your place you will find other heat loss areas that dwarf the effect of screws.

I am working on an old house too (1892) and reducing heat loss is like trying to tame a wild elephant. But bit by bit, I am winning, you can too.

Best,

-AC_Hacker
tinco (10-25-16)