View Single Post
Old 06-10-12, 07:05 AM   #4
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

The main concern I have with this coop is with the amount of ventilation when the windows are closed. Chickens, like other birds, need good air quality to thrive (remember the canary in the coal mine) and, if not well ventilated, can die if there is too much ammonia being released from the litter or if the moisture from their breath starts condensing on all the surfaces in cold weather. Google "open air chicken coop" or "fresh air chicken coop" for more info. All of my coops have at least one wall that is completely open with chicken wire.

Also, you might want to set up more than one chicken run so you can let the unused runs(s) recover and regrow plant life while the chickens tear up the other one. Otherwise the chickens will turn that one run into a plant-less dusty (in dry weather) or muddy (din wet weather) mess. I made all of my chicken coop and runs mobile so I can move them onto fresh grass wherever the chickens have trashed their current location. Also multiple runs helps with parasite control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote