View Single Post
Old 04-21-17, 11:49 AM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
We began to wonder if it would be plausible that one could take a zone from a similar split unit and plumb it into a brazed plate heat exchanger to heat water.
This approach needs to tried by SOMEBODY on a single-head system. Seems to me that a multi-head system greatly multiplies the potential problems.

I think that a key issue to success is whether or not the IDU senses the state of fans and frost, and vane position, etc. and sends that info to the ODU.

In other words if these devices are part of a closed-loop or open-loop system.

It might not be too difficult to determine, prior to hacking into the refrigeration lines...

If you disconnect the fan wire and/or vane actuator, you could test for normal functioning. If everything continues as before, look to see if there is any kind of frost detector... there probably is, maybe in the fins of the IDU HX. If you temporally physically remove that sensor from the fins (do not disconnect electrically) and test for proper operation, you may well be standing in the clear to proceed with your diabolical plan.

The final problem, that should be easy to solve, is the IDU heat sensor. Of course you will want to keep this sensor, or use an equivalent sensor. The next problem will be where to place this sensor to send the relevant info to the ODU. That would be a problem, but should not be too difficult to solve.

With all possible encouragement,

-AC_Hacker
Stoker (05-02-17)