View Single Post
Old 08-09-12, 08:33 PM   #7
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy64 View Post
I plan on doing all the work myself and hopefully with the help of some family and friends.. I have a fairly large roof area 30 square or 3000sqft. Currently there are 2 layers of asphalt shingles so I will have to strip that all off..

Not including any food or beverages for my hired help

I started this thread early because I wanted to get some input from you guys on the current plan.. Any info that you might have would be great
The last time I had a roofing party, I started doing favors for people 3 months ahead of time "Need help? I'm looking for people to show up for a roofing party"

We had a dozen people on the roof plus 2 or 3 in the kitchen. It was a double roofing job. We stripped the shingles from about 15 or 16 squares, added 2" Styrofoam, sleepers, sheathing, tar paper, and some shingles the first day. Finished shingling the second day.

Don't get cheap on the food - good steaks for supper are cheap compared to contractor costs. Lots of soft drinks / lemonade / cold water / tea. No beer until the job is done. You can promise beer, but if you work everybody right, they will be too tired to drink beer.

If you get a dozen people to help, you will not have time to do any work because you will be running full time trying to keep everybody busy. You need to keep everybody busy because every person who runs out of work will leave and not come back. Try for a 14 hour day for yourself.

You can get most people to volunteer for one day, many for a weekend. After that, you're on your own. Get as much done in that weekend as possible.

Not everybody is used to a long hard day of physical work. Warn them that they may wake up the following day with the worst case of flu they have ever had. It's not the flu, it's just sore muscles after a day of physical work. The cure is a Tylenol and more work.

And have fun.
JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
TimJFowler (08-13-12)