View Single Post
Old 05-22-12, 10:50 AM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Master Tech View Post
They even use my identical Nordyne unit as their base system! I'm not yet sold that it would help the cause more than using that solar collection space elsewhere. Anyone else have any insights?
This sounds like a really good project and well thought out, but as a minor aside, there is passive solar and there is active solar... the difference being that passive solar uses no pumps or control system. The best example of Passive Annual Heat Storage that I know of is John Hyatt's house which uses no mechanicals, and is truly passive.

Wikipedia has a very interesting entry on Seasonal Thermal Storage which has links to studies of projects that are very similar to yours.

By the way, the link button is on the editing toolbar...

... and the in-line image button is three buttons to it's right. I saw in your DIY radiant floors post that you found the inline image button... there may be other readers that didn't know.

It's even possible to make hyper-linked images by combining the buttons, but I haven't found that to be very useful.

Lastly, I put in some PEX plumbing and it got pretty noisy whenever I turned on the hot water. I solved the problem by getting some thin-walled polyethylene irrigation pipe and cutting and slitting short sections of it, which I slipped over the PEX and slid to the place where the PEX was rubbing... problem solved.

Best,

-AC
Attached Images

Mobile Master Tech (05-22-12)