View Single Post
Old 01-26-10, 07:21 PM   #4
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Nice looking ASHP!!

Maybe by seeing how the Sanyo valves are set up, you can get a better understanding of the LG setup..
Hopefully, the systems aren't too different. (I'll delete these when they aren't useful anymore).

Here's a pic of the nitrogen pressure test hook up. (See Fig. 60a below).

If you remove the two brass caps, you can insert the allen wrench and release the R-410A.
That step is the last thing you do before final testing..
I think maybe both your valves (Gas & Liquid) are about the same as my wide tube valve.
(I only have one schrader valve and I think you might have two).
But, where my line-set connections on the right, goes up to the indoor unit,
yours goes left, inside the unit to a 3-way splitter. (2 of them).

(Note: The artist drew the valves upside down, Compared to my unit).

The 3-way type valve (right column) is like both LG valves.

The pressurized R-410A comes in at the bottom of the valve. When the valve screw-cylinder- is screwed down (CW), it seals off the R-410A inside the outdoor system.

I took a quick look at your install manual and it seems like the line-set hookup
looked more like a Sanyo, than it does your LG.. Is it an out of date manual?

Do you plan on doing a pressure test of the line sets?

"With the main valve closed (before R410A release), can I pressure test the system with the schrader valve (service valve) ?"

Yes you can. If a valve is opened, the refrigerant will come out of the outdoor unit.
So, always leave those in the 'shipping' posistion until the end of the install.

When you hook up the nitrogen bottle to pressurize, nitrogen comes into the schrader,
and flows over the top of the valve screw-cylinder and directly into the line-set(s).

When you pressure test, remove the other cap, so it's schrader will be tested too.

When you finish pressure testing (all 3 line sets simultaneously),
and want to vacuum the linesets, replace the other cap.
Since the schrader with allow outside air to leak into the lines. It's only designed to hold pressure inside.

Or, you could put the nitrogen bottle on one schrader and the gauge set on the other schrader..

~~
Are those factory cap-lines are really air-tight? You can do a quick vacuum check and find out.
If they are tight, then you can test each line-set as you install it.
Instead of trying to test all of them at once.

Last edited by Xringer; 01-27-10 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Reply to below:
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote