View Single Post
Old 10-31-14, 11:50 AM   #20
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F357 View Post
...Really pumped out a lot of heat today, I can't understand why they don't sell compressor based window heaters...

There are available machines called, "Through Wall Air Conditioner and Heat Pump". Contrary to popular belief, they actually are available.

The idea is that you make a hole in a wall, in a similar way as you would make a window opening in a wall, and install this machine in that hole.

Additionally, I have seen fractional-Ton window-mounted heat pumps being sold into the Asian market. I haven't seen this very often, but I have seen it.

But I think that the most true, and most accurate answer to your question is that smaller air conditioner/heat pump development made an evolutionary leap in their configuration, and became mini-split air conditioner/heat pumps.

The advantages to the re-configuration are
  • They are much quieter in operation, because the compressor and very large fan are located outside if the building envelope, so the vibration and noise is isolated from the house.
  • Installation only requires a small (3" to 4") hole to be made in a wall.
Not so obvious is that the number of engineers of all types being graduated in Asia is greater than the number of engineers in the US by a factor of at least 5 to 1 *.

Some of this engineering talent has been applied to mini-split efficiency, with the result that mini-split efficiency has made an evolutionary leap at about the same time as configuration.

-AC

* This is an older estimate. This difference is probably much larger now, since our society seems to be less willing to bear the cost of education on a large scale. Also our government is tolerant of the predatory lending practices that are targeting students in particular. The net result is that many students are now saddled with crippling debt, and too often, very little hope of employment that can lift them above a subsistence level. This has discouraged many talented and educated younger people from even embarking on a path of formal education.

Interesting to note that while this is happening here, in 'the land of opportunity', Germany has declared free higher education to all Germans who want it... even some foreigners.
jeff5may (10-31-14)