View Single Post
Old 04-25-12, 07:43 AM   #13
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Sorry to be behind the power curve on posting pictures. Our Kodak 7mp camera quit taking pictures saying the internal memory was full. I figured I could just download the SD card for the pictures. It's a 2 GB card and it was full. 861 pictures! Not one from this project. After I downloaded the couple of pictures I had not already moved to my PC, I deleted all the others and then looked at the pictures in the cameras internal memory. They are all there, I just have to read the manual to remember how to download them.

On Monday evening, we took another piece of vapor material and rolled it out under the side porch. That area is about 3' wide and the height varies from the 33" of the front porch height to about 60" or so where it meets the back porch. I had taken the 54' long, 3' wide scrap piece I cut off of the piece under the front porch and cut it to its 32' length for the side porch. I took the 22' remainder and overlapped it by 6" lengthwise and taped it front and back. Then I unrolled another 3' from the roll {remember, the roll is 13'4" wide} and finished the remaining 10' from that piece. This left only a small amount of scrap that I'll probably use around a pier under the house. After taping the pieces together, I had a piece 32' long and 64" wide. Laying it face up, we rolled both sides over so that the two side portions would rest on top of the portion that would lay on the ground. Sorta' like /__\. Then we took that under the house and rolled it out. Much, much easier than folding it in half and being on top of it while trying to unfold it.

My nephew worked under the house yesterday, starting before I got home. We are pulling all the fiberglass insulation out from underneath, rolling it up in as tight a roll as reasonable, taping the rolls and stuffing them in 30 gallon trash bags. While there is some mold on the floor joists, it's not as bad as my fears had me expecting. Still, I have great {read: expensive} plans for under the house and it does not include 90% or more relative humidity. If all goes well, next week the Spray Tech guy will spray 2" closed cell foam on the underside of the floor and coat all the joists with a thin layer just as a way to keep moisture off the floor joists and rim joist.

If I haven't shared what the driving motivation is behind this work, I am planning to build a new solar array to expand on the 1050w my wife and I already have. The inverter and a breaker box is going to be mounted under the house. The underfloor area is always cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, so it should make life easier for our Sunny Boy.

I added this picture of my nephew Daniel and myself taping together the piece of VBM that goes under the side porch.
Attached Images

Last edited by gasstingy; 04-26-12 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Add picture
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote