Thread: the Power Shed
View Single Post
Old 11-07-11, 07:53 PM   #6
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks Ben, needed a good larf! Watch out for a Power Shed rally near you!

Xringer I'm not really sure how I'm going to hold the panels on angle. I dropped by Hugh's and he's letting me measure the angles he sets his array with.

So did a little more work today. Finished bolting together the solar rack (with yet another trip to the hardware store ... don't ask) and, with my trusty buddy, heaved 'er up onto the shed.

Sometimes the first attempt works and sometimes it doesn't. This time it did. I wrapped some rope around the rack tying it into the bucket and forks and it lifted right up into place. Even got it even enough to fit the brackets. Cool.

Then, full of confidence, I built a quick and dirty panel holder and put the first panel into place.

Did I mention that sometimes things don't work the first time. Well, this time it was the second. The second panel. Had it up against the rack almost ready to bolt in when a fierce gust of wind ... let's just say I almost ate a 44 lb panel. I'll put the second panel up tomorrow when the wind is lighter. And that quick and dirty panel holder will get a little modification.

I did find out that those panels are monster truck tough though!

With nothing doing with the wind I put in some insulation and vapour barrier. So I'm ready now to put the "guts" of the system in.

For anyone who's interested. I foamed the joints between the sheathing and the studs (2x4) then insulated with roxul (rock wool) insulation. The roxul is apparently more "critter" proof.

Then I wrapped with a vapour barrier. The blue insulation leaning against the wall will become the "box" that holds the batteries. This way I'll get a little extra insulation protecting the batteries.

Well. Thanks for your interest
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeky For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-07-11)