View Single Post
Old 03-18-12, 12:12 AM   #3
SparkyAZ
Lurking Renovator

Thanks, Brad! I guess if they make a 'special sauce' for the job, it must be for a good reason. I take it the blue synthetic type is compatible with 410a and the red mineral is for older refrigerants?

Thanks for the link to the Yellow Jacket videos. I happened to use a new mini-tubing cutter and tri-blade deburring tool on this project (made by Superior Tool, which look remarkably similar to the yellow jacket versions). The flaring tool was also a Superior Tool product, but I'm not sure what the cone angle is, probably 45 degrees not 37. The multi-size auto-adjusting tool in the video looks pretty slick. I guess if I have a leak I may have to add another tool to my collection

I agree about finding a leaky flare sooner rather than later. If I can get away with just a bit of refrigerant oil on the flare that would be best. I noticed there was no 'goo' residue on the flares or hardware from the original installation, but that brings up another issue in that the fittings on the unit are not 'virgin' at this point, but they did look to be in good shape when I installed the new line set.

I'll probably leave it under pressure with N2 for a while to see if there are any slow leaks, since I won't really need to use the system for another few months. My experience with plumbing has taught me to always use the teflon pipe goo on any threaded fitting. It always seals first time and even if there is a small drip, once the teflon sets it will seal. I have fittings that have been leak free for well over 10 years with the stuff, but flares are a different animal and this is my first attempt.

Last edited by SparkyAZ; 03-18-12 at 12:34 AM..
SparkyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote