View Single Post
Old 12-13-10, 07:24 PM   #241
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
st2288,

I didn't catch it if you are using a mini-split or a whole-house heat pump.

But I'm using a 9,000 BTU Sanyo mini-split, and it has continued to work just fine down to 12 F. As I recall, the sales literature for mine said that this unit was good down to 17 F, but obviously it'll do better than that.

I have noticed that the COP drops when the outside temp goes way down, but it's still superior to resistance heat.

I've noticed that according to the sales lit, the new 9RL and 12RL Fujitsus are good down to 5 F.

-AC_Hacker
Fujitsu makes HPSF 10 SEER 18 22k BTU(36,200k max heat and 17,800 at 17 F) and 30k BTU(37,500k max heat and 20,200 at 17 F) units that are new this year and rated to operate down to 0 F. To me 5 degrees is small and the extra capacity isn't needed as I'm aiming to cut A/C costs versus natural gas bills and would rather aim for the efficiency of the 12RLS unit even though it may be undersized but it has an economy mode with holds it at 70% which I think might be the 12k nominal cooling and then I would be able to close off part of the upstairs to enclose the unit a bit more for comfort as conditions get more unbearable or fire up the 1986 energy sucking central air if I really need to supplement it for a short period.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote