View Single Post
Old 11-13-17, 12:06 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I'd take the $150. The main sticky point that I read was the "It can also be used to help the grid absorb extra energy when needed." ..which means it will heat beyond the set temperature causing slightly higher standby losses temporarily and potentially use the heating element instead of the heat pump to do it, which could come at a slight cost to you.
I assume they wouldn't do this maliciously or even that often, even if it were to cost more over time I think the $150 would way more than offset this.

In my neighborhood we have an air conditioner switch that allows the utility company to temporarily shut off air conditioners in a rolling fashion to cut demand, usually 30 minutes at a time, but up to an hour I think in the contract and they can do it for up to 10 days in the summer. The fun thing is I've called the hotline for the program on almost every single day where we were forecasted to have over 90 degree weather and I have yet to have a control day. ..and my eGauge over the past three summers has shown zero air conditioner compressor cycling, which would be obvious because my air conditioner runs a single solid cycle during hot summer days. I figured that the utility company would make more use of the program to cut back on more expensive power purchases but apparently they are only really using it to prevent blackouts.
They chop about a cent off per kwh during the summer for being a part of the program.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Renovator For This Useful Post:
Geo NR Gee (11-13-17)