View Single Post
Old 01-18-09, 08:08 PM   #39
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Add a Schottky diode for an automatic disconnect.
Yeah, that would be ideal. If I had a ratshack in town, I'd probably do that. But I'll probably just keep using the switch I wired in. I just spin up to about 60+ pedal RPM, then flip the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
So how did you wire it? I have heard that any motor can be a generator, but what keeps the battery from using its juice to spin the motor?
Simple: battery (-) to motor (-), battery (+) to motor (+) with a switch in that wire.

Yes, the battery will spin the motor and cause the bike's rear tire to spin if I simply flip the switch and don't pedal. But if I pedal faster than the motor would spin the tire, the power flow reverses and sends juice back down to the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hmm. A larger motor...I've seen a few trucks sitting around that may like to be donors for this sort of project. Maybe a chevy truck blower?
Yup - I think that might be a bit better. Anything that spits out a little bit more current than the one I have would be good. Bigger magnets = more current (likely).

Quote:
Or would you recommend a different type of motor altogether?
A permanent magnet motor from a 24v or greater application (wheelchair, disability scooter, computer tape drive) would be better, since you wouldn't have to spin it as fast to get 12v from it.

Quote:
Would it be worth setting up a belt or chain drive?
Yup. If you can gear it down more with a belt or chain/extra gears, that's good. I could make the motor/generator hub smaller, but it's more likely to slip against the tire when the load goes up.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote