View Single Post
Old 11-28-23, 11:54 AM   #18
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Updating this old thread. It finally happened. After three and a half years the gubberment figured out that I had an "UNPERMITTED" solar installation. Someone(PG&E) had complained that I had an unpermitted solar installation. Well I knew it wouldn't pass code, and it was such a small system so after notification from said gubberment to remove the system by such and such a date, I did remove it. Here's where it gets funny. I contacted the gubberment to let them know that the system had been removed. They replied that I needed a permit to remove the system. I told them that it was already gone. Well sir, you still need a permit and an inspection to verify this. So I got the permit and had an inspector look at where the system was installed and all was well. Only cost $80. Could have been worse I suppose. You know...fines, liens, etc.

So during the time the system was installed I generated 12,000 useable kwh. Never did install a bms but did check the battery packs regularly. They never went more than a few tenths of a volt out of balance. At our $0.33/kwh, the system basically paid for itself over the three and a half year period. I have since sold off a few of the panels for a small profit over what i paid for them. I kept the batteries and the inverter and will make a backup battery for the house just large enough to run a fridge in case of power outages. I will have to charge it from the grid though. Oh well.

jj
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote