View Single Post
Old 08-11-20, 10:05 PM   #740
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
But my side business I make something I designed and you can hold it in your hands. I get some satisfaction out making something that is useful and you can actually see the product.
Your comment isn't as odd as it may seem on the surface. I spend my weeks sitting behind a PC pushing a mouse creating digital design projects, but I find doing tangible hands-on projects on the weekend much more fulfilling. My most recent weekend accomplishments have been a collection of 2-cycle engines. Whether it's fixing the 20" chainsaw I picked up for $10, or the 2-cycle string trimmer my neighbor tossed on the swale for the trash collectors... Rebuilding a mini-carburetor and replacing a few fuel lines to get a small engine running is a skill that some will never master. Meanwhile, I have two running string trimmers and two chainsaws for every property we own... Then there were the two generators my neighbors tossed out for the scrap guys. One had a blown generator head. I took the Robin (Subaru) engine from one, and installed the 5KW generator head from the other. Then, I dialed in the frequency to 60Hz using my Kill-A-Watt... I also managed to resurrect the Briggs & Stratton engine from the donor generator, which I will likely gift to a friend to repair his mom's generator.

Next weekend project will be pulling the hydraulic leveling jacks off the RV frame to have the seals replaced.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote