View Single Post
Old 12-11-11, 04:48 AM   #49
JYL
Heat recoverer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider3700 View Post
Remember he is in canada. Right now diesel is $1.25/liter where I am. Fuel oil won't be much behind that so I'd guess $4-$5/gallon. My brother heats with oil, his house is about 1200 sqft, two stories built in the late 40's. He'll burn $1200 worth of oil in a winter and our climate is far warmer then montreal.

Warmwxrules - that wall looks easy to insulate with big sheets of rigid. It should go quick.
Well, my Girl Friend live in Seattle, WA , USA. She have a 2900SF rambler house build in 1953.

Her heating bill is about 3200$ per year. This is pretty much the medium size house were she live... and that also pretty much the average heating bill for these older houses. Ok, they have a lot more windows then the average house in Montréal (QC) and Burlington (VT).

However, if you live in Vancouver Island, BC -- You might know that Seattle is generally very temperate... and that the lowest temperature you see is generally about 24F (-5C). Ok, last year, she was still heating the house in June because it was still around 50F outside... never the less. These oil boiler are terribly inefficient.

In this neighbourhood of houses build in the 1950's, this is what I see: 1 Prius, 1 Honda Odyssey for mom... and they call the insulation/heating efficiency people when their Heating Bill reach 4000$

Too bad, I can't really work on her house since I am Canadian (and I don't have a green card yet).
JYL is offline   Reply With Quote