View Single Post
Old 12-04-14, 12:56 AM   #14
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
...I couldn't understand why someone would rip out several hundred dollars worth of new, perfectly good GFI receptacles and toss them. Now I see why.
oil pan,

Good information here.

I think that 'Arc Fault' sensing receptacles and breaker box modules are being implemented in new construction now.

If I understand it correctly, Arc Fault units can sense an arcing condition in a line and cut power to that circuit when arcing occurs. This makes very good sense to me, because arcing generates tremendous heat, and is an ignition source.

I am not an expert on Electricity Code, at all. What I am relaying is scuttlebutt that I have heard from some friends who spend a lot more time with Code Books than I do.

So, it might be that the dumped GFI units were due to code upgrades.

I do know that under proper conditions, GFI units work very well. When I was doing my backyard hole-drilling and loop field installation, I was using a GFI protected circuit. I kept getting false-positives from the GFI, so I switched to another non GFI circuit... and that was when I received the shocking realization that I was working in the rain with ungrounded machinery, and that my equipment was "hot".

So, I do understand the legitimate role that GFIs play.

Best,

-AC