View Single Post
Old 03-15-11, 05:32 AM   #7
Arkaneinc
Lurking Renovator

I went through the house and sealed everything that I could find and also in the attic. I have an appointment set up for Saturday to get R-30 insulation blown into the attic and r-13 drilled and filled in the exterior walls.

I've tried the Home Energy saver but it doesn't seem to like me lol. Every time I input my numbers and at the end push calculate it gives me an error..

Apparently having no heat or AC is uncommon lol. I took an energy audit through my gas company I use approx 172 therms annually or about .05 therms. The other numbers are based off the averages of the region which isnt really accurate. I think I will just invent in getting an energy audit of the house first and make the necessary fixes there.

The mini split heat pump looks pretty cool. I'm keeping my options open since I don't need it done right away I can just save for it.

A neighbor of mine uses a wood burning stove during the winter months. He had a brick backslash set up from what I am told. I've never seen it but sounds like it would be nice. Just not sure how efficient at heating it would be. I understand it could heat a room obviously and depending on the size I'm sure it could also heat the house. On an approximately 1100 sqft home what size wood burning stove would be needed. Trying to see if maybe this would be a cheaper alternative
Arkaneinc is offline   Reply With Quote