View Single Post
Old 09-17-19, 08:11 AM   #562
dreamtech
Lurking Renovator

Greetings! Just found your forum and your thread while googling I also want to build a recuperator. I am thinking of buying 1000x2000x1mm aluminium sheets, cutting them into 200x200 squares and then gluing the squares with silicon, maybe, or putting window sealing D type rubber bands and screwing them together; if silicon, then also some hard material to separate the sheets (silicon is liquid after all). I would like a counterflow, so I am thinking about building two of such cassettes. Al sheets are not a problem-non anodized one costs some 20eur, anodized one some 23eur. Now here are my questions:
1.what should be the gap between the sheets? Corrugated plastic holes you are using are some 5mm, so maybe I should plan the same?
2.what could be the heat power transfer (watts) of one such cassette and what could be the air speed (m/s) for good results?
3.should I build some fins or other things in my gaps inside cassettes to generate some turbulence? Or maybe build some forms (like 5mm high semisphere) from wood and with help of them and hammer bend some depressions into aluminium? Turbulent flow could collect more heat from surface than laminar one, right?
For answering my questions-a bonus idea. I dont want to drill any walls, but I came across an idea-balcony door would open, making some 10cm gap at the side, the gaps at the top and bottom would be covered by "slice of pie" semicircle plastic, the side gap would face some plastic sheets with two holes and holes would be connected to my recuperator (air in, air out). I open balcony 10cm->there isnt a lot of cold air leaking in->the outside air interacts directly with my recuperator. You open door more-then its like simply opening the door
dreamtech is offline   Reply With Quote