View Single Post
Old 09-26-12, 07:09 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
It does not have a tacky coating, it just seems smooth to me.
Well, the 'tacky' coating is not actually sticky. It's more like if you were to slide your finger nail across the surface, it isn't real slick. By comparison, the non-barrier PEX will feel 'self-lubricated' like nylon bearing material if you ever experienced that.

NP60 Coils - PEX Tubing

I'm challenged as a reader... you can probably read better than I can. If you can't find it, I probably can't either.

Quote:
I purchased my 300' at the local Menards for $240. Just today, I found that I can get 300' of 1" PEX with an O2 barrier from pexuniverse.com for about $195. So, I'm inclined to return it and order the PEX online.
Better, cheaper... no challenge there.

Quote:
I was planning on ordering pex crimp fittings from them anyways for connecting the solar panels.
I took a solar installer certification course, and they were rather deprecating regarding the use of PEX for solar. They recommended copper. However, at the prices charged for copper vs. PEX, I can understand your choice.

Quote:
Talking with a friend at work, he said the iron pumps can last quite a long time, around 15 years. At which point you can get a rebuild kit for roughly half the price of the pump. Once you buy a rebuild kit, you're at the price of a stainless pump (no bronze option). I think I can probably handle a rebuild every 15 years.
I bought a used iron pump that had been used in a heat pump DHW application for two years. I opened it up, and it was clear that it wouldn't last another two years.

Beware of dis-similar metals in your system(s)... like copper collectors & iron pumps. Or brass fittings & iron pumps. Galvanic action will win in the long run.

Best of luck to you...

-AC