View Single Post
Old 09-26-12, 02:42 PM   #5
opiesche
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider3700 View Post
How is the rasberry Pi to work with? My arduino project has stalled due to the clone main board not working correctly with the ethernetshield. For the price of the Pi I'm thinking I'll just get one of them and start over with wifi...
It's really neat. With a cheapo USB WiFi adapter, I can stick it into any location, have it connect to my wireless network, and do all programming and tweaking by logging into it via SSH (or choice of web based IDE on top of Apache), use a web server on it for data access and (soon) web based configuration, and generally everything else you can think of doing with a network connected computer

As for the GPIO, there's no direct W1 support (I2C works though), but there's a custom kernel with a bitbanging driver that pulls the data from W1 devices. I get a dropout of the sensor every few hours (where it just reports 0 degrees C) - not sure if that's due to the driver, the sensor, or my wiring, but it's easy enough to recognize and clean up in the software.

Being able to pick your programming language is also a blessing. I'm doing most of this in Python because it's really quick to develop this sort of thing in, and there really aren't any processing heavy, time critical tasks.

All in all, it's been very pleasant. In some ways, almost too easy
opiesche is offline   Reply With Quote