View Single Post
Old 11-15-14, 11:39 AM   #28
oil pan 4
Land owner

Here is my generator.
I bought it for $100, Aside from a dead battery it would start and run fine but not put out any power.
So I put ran multimeter leads line to line to do a volt check and got 7 volts. I know that that means no excitation. When you have no excitation you get the same reading for 7kw generators as well as 72kw 3 phase 400hz generators.
So I knew the voltage regulator was toast, brushes were bad or the armature was bad. I figured the most likely cause was bad brushes or bad Vreg.
Once I pulled the dust cover off the back of the generator it was clear right away the brushes were bad. Bought 2 brush sets off ebay for $14, installed one problem solved.

The way the original battery was mounted was a joke.
I have multiple power inverters too. Since that 7kw generator is electric start there is an excuse to have a battery one there. So I equipped with a group 31 AGM battery and 1000 watt pure sine inverter.
Other mods I did was put a more robust useable breaker panel on there, with plugs I actually use (NEMA 10-50 and L14-30).
Then I added an additional 5 gallon generator fuel tank I picked up for free.
There is a spot on the frame to cargo strap another 5 gallon gas can on there for storage or transport too (not pictured).
Its got multiple hoisting and tie down or security points.
Attached Images

Last edited by oil pan 4; 11-15-14 at 11:49 AM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote