View Single Post
Old 10-28-15, 06:18 PM   #4
stevehull
Steve Hull

"Pops" is a great place to get burgers and watch all the car/motorcycle and other caravans stop in as they do the Rt 66 trip. Tuesday is 1/2 price burger day. Look up the Arcadia "Round Barn". Also very interesting.

The terrain and tree coverage here (central Oklahoma) is much like suburban Boston, but more hills. Forget the Steinbeck images . . . Yeah, summer can get a bit toasty. Then there are those springtime distractions that swirl a bit . . .

Frankly, I fear wildfires FAR more than tornados. The likelihood of being hit here, in the bulls eye of tornado alley, per sq mile is once in about 400 years. And the vast majority of tornados are EF0, EF1 and EF2 (80+%).

Fires just consume everything. I have a concrete poured basement and that would get us all through a tornado.

Central Massachusetts is not immune and you all had a tornado just last year if I recall (in Winchester?). In fact the tornado that created the Severe Storm Center went through Worcester to Southboro in June, 1953 and killed a LOT of people and injured many hundreds (now estimated at an EF4 magnitude). The day before, the same weather pattern created a tornado that tore up Flint Michigan and also killed injured many.

Today's high was about 71, low about 50. We have this weather day after day in the fall.

I do miss the tree color change in New England. It is unlike anywhere in the world. So enjoy it (or are all the leaves already down?).

Steve