View Single Post
Old 10-28-15, 07:22 AM   #2
stevehull
Steve Hull

Xringer,

I am SO glad that I don't have to do roof raking anymore. I grew up just SW of you in the snow belt (just east of Worcester) and the snow rake had to be used on the home 3/12 roof pitch after every snow. It was exhausting especially with wet "mashed potato" snow.

If you didn't rake, then ice dams accumulated and water dripped into the house.

Now for a practical question. If you truly put adequate insulation on the attic floor AND ventilate the attic well, does this prevent ice damming? Or does it just slow it down?

Older homes in NH and Vermont are typically built with far steeper roof pitch (at least 4/12 and mostly 5/12) and I never heard of ice dams and I am sure that those attics were poorly insulated. With the steep pitch, the snow fell away easily.

My cousin in Vermont built his home with a 5/12 roof pitch and used a metal roof (R60 roof insulation). Snow just slides off. The danger, and it is real, is that the snow sliding off can be like an avalanche. He was once shoveling the front walk and got buried by such a slide.

Last winter I believe you got 100+ inches of snow - a record that goes back to ? My mother in law still lives in her own home (Woburn) and we constantly fear for her in winter. Ice is worse than snow, but 100+ inches has to be the worst.

Buy the most expensive snow shovel and have the perversity of the economics/reality ratio show you a mild winter . . . . .

Steve