View Single Post
Old 02-14-12, 09:54 AM   #164
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Over here its not just BBQ Propane. Even the real ($50/Kg) HC refrigerants are stenched. The filter/drier circuit certainly helps take it out however.

This company sells 'R-22a', which I understand is an HC blend that is meant to be a drop-in replacement for R-22.

I haven't been able yet to verify exactly what the blend is, or what the water vapor allowed is.

They do have a non-sulphurous scent (like pine trees) that is added.

I got some for my next unit.

[EDIT:] I was just checking around on the web and on this page I found this quote:
Quote:
This got me wondering, what is ES 22A? After a bit of googling about I found the MS/DS for ES 22A. Here are the specs from the MS/DS sheet converted to celsius.

ES 22A Specs
-42.5c boiling point
0.5066 Specific gravity
467c Auto ignition temp

Propane/R290 Specs
-42.1c boiling point
0.509 Specific gravity
470c Auto ignition temp

The slight differences can be accounted for by barometric pressure and purity of the gas tested.
[END OF EDIT]

The stuff sure ain't cheap, compared to BQ gas, but at $27/kg, it's better than $50/kg.

Note that they are going at this as a drop-in replacement for R-22, and the contents of a "30 pound" tank actually weighs 12 pounds. To me this seems deceptive, so be forewarned.

If we had a method that was dialed in for removal of water and any other potentially corrosive agents, and that could be implemented by a vapor-compression hobbyist, we would be making a major contribution to our community.

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 02-14-12 at 01:22 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote