View Single Post
Old 02-25-11, 09:32 PM   #4
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Yes, propane is a viable working fluid and a suitable replacement for some refrigerants, but.

As you know, the biggest problem with propane is that it's flammable. A cracked evaporator would create a nice fuel/air mix in your car, house, computer, or wherever. Suitable for use indoors? Your call, I guess.

He reports delta-T and power consumption, but what about mass flow rate times specific heat times delta-T? I have a very hard time believing that changing the working fluid (to one the system wasn't designed for, even) would bring about a 60% improvement in efficiency.

A lot of people have gas pipes bringing an unlimited supply of gas into their homes.. Scary!
I think the charge would be about two pounds, I'm not sure, but I think two pounds would fill a basement (think FAE)
and lift most houses up about 15 to 30 feet.

I've heard there is a lot of R290 being used in AC systems,
all around the world these days and it's not causing very many problems.
The nice thing about propane (but not real R290) is the stink smell they add.
You can find leaks quick and easy with your nose..

I have seen glowing reports of higher efficiency. Here's one.
Experimental Investigation OPTIMUM Charge R290

Maybe, if AlumaFX's AC was originally designed for R22, and had been updated to R410A, (to make it legal to sell),
Prehaps R290 is so similar to R22, the AC could have really had a 60% improvement..?.

~~~

Here's a pretty good price on an indoor unit. Add on another 100-200 bucks for line-set and power stuff.. Maybe!

KHS2472 - Sanyo KHS2472 - 24,200 BTU Ductless Mini-Split Wall-Mounted Heat Pump & Air Conditioner (Indoor Unit)
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote