View Single Post
Old 12-17-11, 12:32 PM   #1028
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by launboy View Post
My plan is to bend the tubes(very carefully) and simply lower the condenser coil into the tub in front of a jet for circulation.
launboy,

I know you have the best of intentions, and I wish you well in your careful bending... but if you end up with R-22 spraying all over the place, please consider that the big HX on the back of the unit would be better than the small HX that is buried inside, for the evaporator HX (the one that gets cold). Copper tube coils with no fins would would be dandy as the HX in the hot tub.

You might even surprise yourself that you just might already know people with most of the tools you need, that they would lend to you. You might want to attempt to line up those tools in advance of your bending effort, just in case, so that you can complete your project over the vacation.

Best of luck with the project! Aquario has done something very similar here on EcoRenovator. You might use the search button to see what he's done... He started heating a swimming pool, and is now heating his house!

Regarding defrosting, just turning the unit off from time to time will allow the hot refrigerant to melt the ice.

May the force be with you.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 12-17-11 at 12:36 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote