View Single Post
Old 11-04-15, 08:51 PM   #18
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

The best source of info for owner-built wind turbines is Other Power, Wind Power | Otherpower
They offer workshops that include actually building a working machine in about 6 days and they have a good book covering the machines and their construction and design. If I was going to build a wind turbine I would follow their designs.

I have however been using a 1940s 2.5kw Jacobs since around 1977 and it is an extremely reliable machine. But--today PVs are so cheap compared to even a few years ago that unless you are in a very good wind site it isn't worth considering a wind turbine instead of PVs. By a "good wind site" I usually mean at least 10 to 12 mph average wind in the vicinity and a site for the tower with no surrounding trees or buildings and the ability to have a tower at least 120 feet tall or taller. And remember no matter what the sales pitch might be, all wind turbines require maintenance, usually at least an annual inspection and bolt tightness check, and this can't be done from the ground.
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WisJim For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-04-15)