View Single Post
Old 03-25-13, 12:42 PM   #1427
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearden View Post
...wouldn't my heating load need to be done on just the 1st floor only? Or am I making too many assumptions about how the heat will travel/act on the 1st floor and how long it will stay there?
I've been heating only my downstairs living room, and keeping the doors closed to the other rooms, but I have been temperature monitoring all the rooms. So heat from your 1st floor room will go up to the second level, even with the doors closed... The will not be as warm, but they will not be as cold as if your house was not heated at all.

There's something called Exergy Analysis, where the path of heat is examined as it makes it's way to the great heatsink in the sky. The intent of the analysis is to attempt to find ways to use the lower temperature heat, also.

So my bedroom is on the second floor, and I don't heat it unless I'm doing some extended work there. At night, I warm the bed with an electric blanket before I get in, then I turn it off. But the heat from down stairs will warm the upper rooms to some extent.

-AC