View Single Post
Old 12-01-10, 06:01 PM   #8
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

"Btw, why not run a CFL in the bathroom? I haven't had an issue with mine yet."

I've killed 5 CFLs in the bathroom of two different brands in a year. Well, the last one isn't dead but it is purple and unbelievably dim for the first 3 minutes or so and it is not nearly as bright as it used to be. When I use the bathroom, I turn the light on, use the bathroom for a minute or two, turn the light off. The cyclic short term usage causes high emission losses in the CFL which gives them a very short life, even shorter than incandescents with high cycling. Only when I take a shower did they stay on for 15 minutes or so.

The other reason is that when I went to pull a CFL out, while unscrewing it, it hopped the last thread and landed in the sink. The last thing I want is to add mercury in the water supply so I won't be putting CFLs back in, scares the crap out of me. I bought a 40 watt equiv to test one. It's 430 lumens, 54lm/watt(lower than my ~70lm/watt CFLs), 8 watts. It's brighter when shining against my hand than the two 60 watt tungsten bulbs next to it because all of the light from the LED points down.

I've done more research on LEDs and searched through LF's search engine and found bulbs that have higher l/watt than CFLs though.

6.1 watts, 615 lumens, 101lm/watt in a 2700k warm white A19 shaped bulb.
That is a very high lm/watt although slightly lower lumens then I want but would be perfect for the bathroom. I'd pay $20/bulb if they were rated 35k+ hours.

They have higher powered bulbs at slightly lower but better than CFL efficiency in the A19 package

I can't find a price on them though but specs are here and the info is tested by DOE as its posted on their LF site.
LEDnovation, LED Lamps, LED Light Bulbs | Products - EnhanceLite A19 LED

...but I'm not going to go too far off topic. I'm going to make a new thread on these and try to email the company to find out pricing or distributor information if they are willing to provide it.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote