View Single Post
Old 12-14-14, 06:07 AM   #27
stevehull
Steve Hull

AC,

The connection of the wall to the roof is done with the aid of 2x6 trusses. Furthermore, I used steel strapping screwed on the truss top and then down the side of the wall (each two feet). I also used J bolts in the concrete on 4 foot centers (code 10 feet) to additionally prevent lift.

The schematic that was posed on SIP construction is only one of many that are out there. I choose to add in strapping, extra point nailing, and far more construction adhesive than was called for. Then on the exterior, I put on plywood and 2 inch vertical battens every foot to further hold the plywood on. That further strengthens the exterior.

As for tornados. Every region has weather issues and these really scared me when we first moved here some 30 years ago. The risk is NOT tornados as the likelihood of a given sq mile being hit is once every 400 years. Rather, it is ice storms and those don't excite people like a whirling tornado.

Took a lot of photos yesterday. Now I will get daughter to help me transfer them from phone to computer and then from computer to here. Had to laugh as the first photos have green leaves on the trees!

Steve