View Single Post
Old 12-15-18, 12:59 PM   #2
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I held off responding hoping someone else would have more recent experience with chain sharpeners. I've been doing it by hand for 45 years, sharpening three chains a day when I was logging.

Electric sharpeners range from $40 - $1000. Any one of them will quickly ruin a chain in the hands of an inexperienced person. None do a better job than a file in experienced hands. Pros use electric sharpeners because they are much quicker for chisel tooth sharpening than a square file. You don't need chisel tooth profile unless you cut trees for a living.

My suggestion is the Oregon #38276 for 5/32 chain. It keeps the file at the correct depth which is where most people have trouble. Oregon sells similar kits for 3/16 and 7/32 chain though I didn't see them on Amazon. Stihl and Husqvarna have similar kits for three times the price and their files are probably made by Oregon. Note that 5/32, 3/16, and 7/32 refer to file size and not chain pitch.

The most important thing to know about filing is that the file only cuts in one direction. If you apply force in both directions you will ruin the file in the first use. Push slowly, lift the file, return to the start position, repeat. If the file squeals you are going too fast and destroying it.

Two cents worth from someone who bought chain in 100 foot rolls.

Last edited by CrankyDoug; 12-16-18 at 08:48 PM..
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrankyDoug For This Useful Post:
where2 (12-15-18)