View Single Post
Old 08-02-13, 05:12 PM   #233
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Dump loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharbert View Post
Xringer: The first iteration of my project will be grid powered. I'm also thinking that single-axis tracking will be sufficient - I'll just set the tilt to match the winter sun angle.

Thanks for the link to the 120w panel. I eventually want about 2500kW of solar panels, 1500w-ish wind generator, and gridtie inverter. We bought a house on a cleared acre just before this last Thanksgiving. I also have plans to build a two-story 24x30 detached shop/garage this summer.

On the subject of dump loads, I've always thought it would cool to have a programmable dump load controller that could route the power to a number of different things - vehicle engine block heaters, a domestic hot water heater, hot tub heater, etc. This way that surplus electricity could be put to some really good use. I don't know that such a thing exists, but maybe some quality time spent with an Arduino would do the trick.
Guys,
Before I got the first intertie I had thought about a dump load with a transfer switch. My thinking has changed now. First my batteries are strictly for back up if the grid goes down. Why use batteries when my intertie/off grid system sends excess power (after all my dedicated breakers are serviced) back to the grid. If I want to run a small heater all I have to do is plug it in. My system will power it and if there's excess send it back to the grid. No relays, no dump resistors, etc. I think this intertie/ off grid setup is the best way to go, you never lose a watt of power, if you don't use it you sell it and your batteries last a really long time.

Xringer,
Looks like a neat project! How many modules are you running on that dish, what's the square footage?

Rob

Last edited by Robaroni; 08-02-13 at 05:14 PM..
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote