View Single Post
Old 03-30-19, 12:13 PM   #207
Daox
Administrator

Alright, last night I got all of my bits for this project. This new version virtually replaces every part of the system minus the spring loaded damper at the bottom of the chimney.

I started out by making a new top plate to fit on the chimney. This replaces the board that used to hold the fans. Now, it just has a 6" round duct with flange. The flange came with adhesive foam on it plus a few started holes for screws. It worked quite nicely for fixing to the wood board. Not shown, but I also added adhesive backed foam to this plate to help seal it against the top of the chimney.

A few screws gets that attached where the old fan board used to be.

The new fan got mounted a bit farther south in the attic. I think it should be a bit warmer since it gets not only the top of the attic, but also the south side of the house getting hit with sun. It is also mounted up about as high as I could. Even last night working up there you could tell a temperature difference from the bottom of the attic to the top which is only about 5 feet.

I have a new temperature controller as well. I am hoping to simplify this design and only go with a controller in the attic, no temperature sensor to run to the room its blowing into. So, this version uses an attic fan controller with an adjustable temperature control. I still have to lookup the specs on it and double check its accuracy though.

Last night the attic wasn't cold, but it wasn't' warm. I didn't run it too long but so far I love this new setup. First off, its massively quieter. The hanging fan with flexible duct transmits no vibrations to the chimney at all. Downstairs, all you hear is wooshing air, no fan noise at all. Number two, it blows a lot more air than the previous setup. Especially since one fan had stopped working. Interestingly, the two setups pull the same amount of power, ~135W when in use.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (04-09-19)