View Single Post
Old 07-14-17, 01:22 PM   #340
Daox
Administrator

Last night was the night. I have had the armature for a week or so. I filed down the grooves on the commutator between the armature windings per my friend's instructions. This reduces brush wear and arching. Then, last night I took the armature back over to his shop and we reassembled it. This is no easy task considering you have VERY powerful permanent magnets that want to snap that armature back into place. We ended up rigging things up on a drill press table. The housing was bolted down, and we stuck a pipe up through the table. The top of the pipe went over the motor's output shaft. The bottom of the pipe rested on a hydraulic bottle jack. This allowed us to slowly lower the armature into place so it wouldn't bash up the windings. It worked beautifully. We also loctited the bearings in place. Its a trick my friend said can extend bearing life since it fixes the slip fit and stops it from moving or rotating. He has experienced this issue on motors hes tested at his work and it has fixed bearing life issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
bennelson (07-14-17)