View Single Post
Old 02-23-16, 09:52 AM   #1855
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMCF View Post
I nearly spat out my coffee! That did make me laugh.
You may be correct that more modern technology is normal here compared to North America, but if you saw my house you would understand why that idea is comical in my case. I have 2 types of radiators.

I have a few radiators something like this:
http://thumb9.shutterstock.com/displ...-288271046.jpg
My guess is they were old, re-used units when they were installed.

Most of the radiators radiators are slightly more modern, something like this:
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...ater01.jpg&f=1

I believe all the radiators were installed in the 1960s.
SDMCF,

Very sorry to hear about your ruined coffee by spitting in it. Did you drink it anyway?

The top heater can still be found. It was originally meant for steam heat, and as it was designed, steam condensed in it and the radiator gave off considerable heat. Just running hot water through it would yield far less heat.

The bottom heater is now being sold in the US as a high-tech premium heat radiator. Not many people have them.

There is another radiator that is between the two you showed.

These are everywhere here in the US, and many people here don't know of any other kind. These things work well, but they are designed for water temps around 150F to 180F. And yes, if you get enough of them it would be possible to heat a house.

But I came across some radiators that are specifically designed for low feed temps. Here is an image:

In this case, they have very large fin area, and the small computer type fans gently keep the air moving. This pic is from a product made by Jaga. It that a Finland firm?

My point is that yes, if your phase change system is running at 120F it will work and will be cheaper, but if you can use a more efficient radiating system, you can use radiators that give you the heat output you need and use lower temp water, and you will be even better off.

-AC
Attached Images